Today (October 1st) is China’s National Day, marking the founding of the People’s Republic of China. It will be the start of a week long holiday, the so-called Golden week, when many Chinese go travelling. The BBC learning zone broadband has an excellent short introduction to National Day in China and customs associated with it. It’s perfect for showing to beginners as it includes basic greetings.
Talking this video clip as a starting point there are many ways in which the theme of National day could be exploited by linking it to the following contexts:
- Significant dates, both for and individual and a communities (historical events, birthdays etc)
- The significance of national identity – flags and anthems
- Customs and traditions, such as dance
- Travel and holidays – Golden week is a time when many Chinese go on holiday
- Food – family get-togethers and meals